These cute little moon and star appliques are fast and easy to crochet. They can be made in minutes and make adorable decorations for baby bedtime items. The crescent moon applique and little stars are small enough to sew onto baby clothing, toys and blankets. You can make as many as you like and arrange them to make perfect design.
How to crochet moon & star appliques
The moon and stars appliques are beginner skill level. They works up very quickly, in one piece and with no sewing. The appliques use only a tiny amount of yarn, making them a great stash buster. You will need to know all your basic crochet stitches to complete the pattern. To make the appliques I used DK/Light Worsted yarn and a 4mm crochet hook. But, you could try out different yarn weights with the recommended hook for different sized motifs.
Collect them all
Did you know there’s a whole collection of Hookfully appliques to crochet? Click here to see them all!
Premium pattern download
Going premium allows you to instantly download and print your very own copy of the star and moon applique crochet pattern, plus it contains zero ads!
Crochet pattern information
- 4mm crochet hook
- Light worsted yarn
- Weight – DK / Light worsted / #3
- Brand – King Cole Pricewise
- A – Yellow: 7 yards
- B – Blue: 9 yards
- Total – 16 yards
Sizes & Gauge
- 2″ x 2″ gauge swatch = 7 rows of 9 hdc
- Moon: H 5.5cm x W 3.5cm
- Star: H 3.5cm x W 3.5cm
USA Terminology (UK translation)
- ch – Chain
- dc – Double crochet
- 2dc – 2 dc in 1 space (increase)
- hdc – Half double crochet
- 2hdc – 2hdc in 1 space (increase)
- sc – Single crochet
- 2sc – 2 sc in 1 space (increase)
- sl st – Slip stich
- st/sts – Stitch/Stitches
- tr – Treble crochet
- 2tr – 2 tr in 1 space (increase)
- Chains are not included in the stitch count.
- Unless otherwise stated, stitches separated with a comma are to be made in separate spaces. eg. (sc, dc) would mean sc in the first stich, dc in the second stitch. eg. (2hdc, hdc x 2) would mean 2hdc in the first stitch, 1hdc in the second stitch, 1hdc in the third stich.
- After fastening off, weave in ends, unless you intend to use them for sewing the applique to a project.
By using Hookfully’s website you are agreeing to its terms & conditions, copyright agreement and safety disclaimer. Read more…
This post contains affiliate links. This means I may earn a commission should you chose to make a purchase using my links.
Moon & Stars – free crochet pattern
Let’s begin the moon and star applique free crochet pattern! Don’t forget you can purchase a premium version of this pattern if you’d like to see more progress photos and less ads.
- ch x 12 then start in 2nd ch from the hook
- sc x 11
- ch & turn
- sl st, 2sc, 2hdc, 2dc, dc, 2tr, dc, 2dc, 2hdc, 2sc, sl st
- Fasten off
- sc x 5 into a magic ring
- sl st to 1st st & ch
- (sc, tr, ch, sc) in 1 st
- Repeat 4 more times
- sl st to 1st st & fasten off