Skip to content
Hookfully crochet patterns for kids

Translate Crochet Terminology

    I’ve put together a handy guide to translate crochet terminology between U.K. and USA terms. Although I am from the UK, like many others I prefer US crochet terminology. Therefore, I also write my patterns using US terminology. However, this can be a little confusing at first but patterns can be easily translated just by learning a few simple changes. As you can see on the chart below, the stitches are exactly the same, they are just called by a different name. For example, a US single crochet is called a double crochet in the U.K. In other words it is exactly the same stitch, just known by a different name.

    Cheat Sheet – Translate Crochet Terminology

    sl st – slip stitchss – slip stitch
    sc – single crochetdc – double crochet
    hdc – half double crochethtc – half treble crochet
    dc – double crochettr – treble crochet
    tr – treble crochetdtr – double treble crochet
    dtr – double treble crochettrtr – triple treble
    sk – skipms – miss
    yo – yarn overYoh – yarn over

    Crochet hook & Yarn sizes

    So, the abbreviations shown in the chart above are the only ones which change between U.K. and USA terms, you can find more abbreviations here. You might also find translations for hook size and yarn size useful too!